Monday 1 March 2010

Becoming a 2 car family

Modern, eco-minded couple that we are, Kate and I are now a 2 car family.
Which I know is ridiculous, given there are only 2 and a half of us, and the half can't drive (yet).
But Kate has been quite open about her hate (no, not too strong a word) of driving our 44-year old, starts-every-time, road-tax-free, eminently practical Volvo Amazon:













"There's no power-steering, so I have to strain to turn every corner. Which really isn't good in my condition, Matt."
"It's too big, so I can't parallel park without holding up the cars behind me for 30 minutes every time. Which isn't good for local traffic flow, Matt."
"There are no Isofix fittings. Where on earth are we going to put the car seat, Matt?"
"I don't care if it looks cool, Matt. The old-fashioned seatbelts no longer fit around my expanding girth, and would probably garotte me if I was ever in an accident."
I mean, I'm as sensitive as the next man, but none of these strike me as REAL reasons to have to get rid of a car (and particularly not one that looks this cool).
So, if it wasn't for a last-minute offer* by my parents for a long-term loan of their Golf, then we might have been more than a little stuck.
And Kate would have just had to brush up on her parallel parking.
*Does not exclude gentle coercion.

No comments:

Post a Comment